Q&A for Workshops
Q1) I am a complete beginner in calligraphy, which workshop should I join?
First decide which type of calligraphy you would like to learn:
- DIP PEN: we use a pointed nib that is inserted into a pen holder, and dip the nib into a bottle of ink in order to write.
- BRUSH PEN: we use brush pens to write in Western script style. There are a range of brushes available and some brushes are similar to the Chinese calligraphy or water-colour brushes. For both types of calligraphy, please see "The Kit" on the sidebar link for further information.
Q2) What is BEGINNER level?
- BEGINNER LEVEL: suitable for complete beginners or calligraphers of any levels who will like to learn calligraphy from the basics or to refresh their skills. Our BEGINNER workshops contain 2 parts:
- PART 1 - Basic Techniques (2 hours) includes understanding of tools, Kalo's demonstration on how to write and your personal practice
- PART 2 - Creative Application (1 hour) includes learning how to apply calligraphy skills creatively. Each workshop is themed and this part is different depends on the theme you choose. For example, in our "Design Your Monogram" workshop, you will learn to compose a monogram design, while in our "Colour Ink Calligraphy" workshop, you will learn how to mix various colour inks for calligraphy. Please read the description for each workshop for full details.
Q3) What is IMPROVER level?
- IMPROVER LEVEL: suitable for calligraphers who will like to improve their skills and learn in a deeper level.
- Since Kalo will not teach the PART 1: Basic Techniques in the IMPROVER level, therefore students must have participated in at least one of our BEGINNER workshops prior to the IMPROVER workshop.
- Participants who fail this criteria may not be accepted for the registration and the enrollment fee will be non-refundable.
Q4) Can I sign up for multiple BEGINNER dip pen workshops?
- As mentioned in Q2, the teaching content of PART 1: Basic Techniques is the SAME throughout ALL BEGINNER dip pen workshops, this part will take 2 hours.
- To maximize your learning, we recommend you to join our IMPROVER workshop(s) instead of signing up for multiple BEGINNER workshops, as we will not be covering the basics in our IMPROVER workshops, so you can learn something new!
- However, if you wish to refresh your basic techniques and skills, you are welcome to sign up multiple BEGINNER dip pen workshops too!
Q5) How many calligraphy starter kits will I received if I sign up for multiple BEGINNER dip pen workshops?
- You will receive one set of calligraphy starter kit at each workshop.
Q6) I have joined your BEGINNER workshop and I am still new to calligraphy, are your IMPROVER workshops suitable for me?
- You are required to join at least one of our BEGINNER workshops prior to the IMPROVER workshops because we will not be covering the basics in the IMRPOVER workshops, so an understanding of how to set up your calligraphy pen and basic writing knowledge is essential.
- However you do NOT need to be skilled in calligraphy to participate as our IMPROVER workshops are catered to improve your calligraphy skills and help you achieve better calligraphy results.
Q7) What is the criteria to sign up for your WELCOME ALL events (i.e. calligraphy jamming evening and pen meet evening)?
- You are welcome to sign up for our WELCOME ALL event(s) but please ensure you have taken at least one of our workshops prior to the event(s).
- These WELCOME ALL events are tailored to encourage past students to stay with the calligraphy community and therefore, events are charged at a very low fee.
- Participants who fail this criteria will not be accepted for the registration and the enrollment fee will be non-refundable.
Q8) Is it possible to sign up together with my friend(s)?
- Yes, you can simply click "add to cart" for the workshop you select, then go to your "cart" to enter the final quantity you require for the workshop. The system will automatically update the Total Cost. Once the payment is received, we will email you separately in a few days to enquire for the other participants’ details (i.e. their names and email addresses). We will send you and your friends a reminder email closer to the workshop date and the practice sheet PDF after the workshop.
Q9) Do you offer gift voucher for the workshop?
- Yes, we offer DIGITAL gift vouchers which you print out as gifts. The voucher is valid for 3 months from the date of purchase. Please email us at email@example.com for full details.
Q10) Will there be any discount if I want to sign up for multiple workshops?
- Our calligraphy studio is tailored for a cosy learning environment and is unique than other calligraphy workshops. We also work very hard to constantly update our teaching materials to ensure all students are learning from the best.
- Therefore, we do not provide discounts for multiple registrations, however we do provide discounts for participants who sign up within the "Early Bird" period.
Q11) I cannot attend due to last minute arrangement, can I swap to another workshop or request for a refund?
- ALL sales are final, there are no returns or exchanges as stated clearly on our Terms & Conditions.
- However for our BEGINNER workshop, you are welcome to transfer your seat to a friend. To do this, you must give 72 hours prior written notice via email to firstname.lastname@example.org including the name, email address of the person you are transferring to.
Q12) I would like to purchase your calligraphy starter kit (dip pen) without attending the calligraphy workshop, is this possible?
- Yes, you can purchase the calligraphy starter kit (dip pen) directly from our Hong Kong Central Studio, please email us at email@example.com to arrange the collection detail. Alternatively, you can purchase our calligraphy starter kit at LOG ON City Super and/or at The Eslite Spectrum Bookstore in Hong Kong. The retail price for our calligraphy starter kit is HKD250.
- We also offer purchase from overseas, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for full details.
Q13) I would like to purchase your calligraphy supplies, how should I proceed?
- We stock a range of calligraphy supplies - from greeting cards, stationery, pens, nibs to a large range of calligraphy inks. If you would like to shop at our Hong Kong Central studio, please email us at email@example.com to arrange a date and time.
- Our studio visit is by appointment only because we have client meetings and calligraphy workshops during the weekday and weekend, by having an appointment, we can ensure our availability to help you during your visit.
Q14) We would like to feature your calligraphy workshops for our media channel (magazine, website, blog, television), what should we do?
- We are thrilled to know you are interested to feature our KALO MAKE ART calligraphy workshops! Please simply send us your request via the "CONTACT" form on the sidebar link OR email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will email you back shortly with further information.
Q15) I have other questions about your calligraphy workshops, but I cannot see the answers above. What should I do?
- Please simply send us your question(s) via the "CONTACT" form on the sidebar link OR email us at email@example.com. We will email you back shortly with answers.